Tuesday

They Don't Shoot Deer Here

Hey Hannah, Zac and Garrett!
I went to play golf again with Mrs. Juli and we had fun. She plays at a golf course about 10 minutes from her house, she is a member at "San Juan Oaks" so that means she can play as much as she likes there and believe me, she plays A LOT!
There is a famous golfer named Fred Couples and he designed San Juan Oaks golf course. Here is a bad picture of me with his picture in the clubhouse:Here I am sitting at a tee box. We played with some nice men today and they taught me how to be patient and wait for my turn:

This is one of the holes - did you know that you play 18 (EIGHTEEN!) holes in a golf round. Every hole at San Juan Oaks is different. You can tell where they water the golf course and then you can see the dry, golden hills.Mrs. Juli calls this San Juan Poison Oaks because she got poison oak so bad she almost had to go to the hospital in March. You can see the cart path on this hole and do you see that one reddish looking bush?That is California poison oak and it is very bad. Mrs. Juli had bad blisters all over her because her ball got close to this bush. It took about three days for her to break out in blisters everywhere and she had to be on medicine for six weeks. Poison oak reactions are the number one disability claim in the state of California. Firefighters and forest rangers get it very often and sometimes have to be hospitalized, especially if it is burning and they breathe in the fumes.In South Carolina, we have poison ivy and I hope you all know to stay away from a plant with "leaves of three". In California, they have poison ivy but they also have these poison oak bushes. Mrs. Juli kept me far away from these bushes.

While she was showing me the poison oak bushes we heard some rustling and we saw four deer. We tried to get their picture:

Mrs. Juli said that she sees all kind of animals and because they don't shoot deer here, they are very tame. The next hole we played, we had to wait for this buck to get out of the way. He took his time walking across the fairway:I hope you can see him off to the right: (you can click on this picture to see the buck close up)

Mrs. Juli said that they even have mountain lions and bobcats and snakes at the golf course. They told Mrs. Juli that if she ever spotted a mountain lion to jump on top of her golf cart and wave golf clubs real mean in the air to make herself look big and scary so the mountain lion would leave her alone. Mrs. Juli said that she could never climb on top of a golf cart and wished they'd let her pack weapons like hunters - she thinks a gun rack would be appropriate on golf carts in dangerous areas. Most California people have never seen a gun rack so the golf course people didn't get her humor.

One of the men we played golf with insisted that Mrs. Juli take my picture with these two famous football player's jerseys. Mrs. Juli doesn't watch football but just in case any of you know these people, here I am with RICE and LOTT jerseys. I have had a busy week and it is only Tuesday! I am learning so much Hannah! Thank you for sending me to Mrs. Juli's house.

Love,

Flat Stanley

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had seen that deer at my house it would have been hanging in my room. Stay far away from the poison oak. Daddy taught us how to look for the leaves of three when we were looking for deer tracks. Have fun tomorrow!
Garrett

Anonymous said...

I would like to see Mrs. Juli stand on top of her golf cart and act scary. I would run from her!! I can picture her riding around a California golf course with a gun rack attached to her cart. Tell her I am sure we can find on to send if she really wants it. We can send it with Mrs. Jane in October!!

I am glad you are having fun and Mrs. Juli is taking such good care of you. I may have to send her 3 children over the summer!!
Love, Mommy

Anonymous said...

Thinking of Mrs. Juli standing on top of a golf cart made me laugh. The pictures of the deer were awesome. Daddy has some pictures of deer in our woods on his wildlife camera but we usually do not see them out in the yard. I am glad you are using your manners and taking turns on the golf course. How was your game? I've never seen a poison oak bush before and I definately do not want to get close to it!

Sorry we did not leave you a message yesterday. It was my cousin's 5th birthday and we were at her house until bed time. I enjoyed your adventure. Be sweet and help Mrs. Juli around the house.

Love, Hannah :)

Flat Stanley said...

Garrett! That is so funny about that deer hanging in your room if you had been with me! I thought that mommy and daddy taught you about leaves of three and hearing about Mrs. Juli's poison oak, it got me even more cautious. I am glad that you learned to look out for poison ivy and poison oak.

Mommy, I laughed too about Mrs. Juli being on top of a golf cart and I really do think she is onto something with having gun racks as an added upgrade to the carts.

Hannah, I bet you had so much fun at the birthday party! I miss you but I am having fun and I love hearing from you. Mrs. Juli told me that she and Aunt June used to keep you when you were a little, tiny baby. She said that you were the most beautiful little girl she had ever seen and that you were always so very sweet. I told her that you were so special and she said that you were always very special, even when you were a teeny-tiny baby. I miss you but I am having so much fun and Mrs. Juli is taking good care of me. I am even helping with the chores without being asked! Mrs. Juli loves me and I love her.