Sunday

California Cows Are Happy Cows

Hey Hannah!
We found bulls and cows today! It was so much fun and I learned a lot!
Here I am with a bull:
This is a road right across the street from Mrs. Juli's neighborhood. It is called "Best Road" and Mrs. Juli says it is the best road, it is her favorite place to go bike riding. There are mountains everywhere and so much open space. We never saw a car the whole time. Here is a picture of some cows on one of the hills:
It hasn't rained here in FOUR MONTHS! Can you believe that? It rains in South Carolina almost every week! Mrs. Juli was telling me that since they don't get rain in the summer here, the hills and mountains turn this awesome golden color. It looks like millions and billions of bails of hay.

Mrs. Juli showed me some pictures that she took on this same road in the winter time. You will be able to see how lush and green the fields are in the winter. That is completely opposite of South Carolina. It rains during the winter months here but it hardly ever freezes. The California children don't have to wear winter coats very much because it is rarely cold enough to bundle up warm.
Mrs. Juli showed me pictures she took during the winter season, these were cows in the winter on Best Road:
This next picture is also in the winter and you can see cows way up on the hill. There are so many vineyards in California, Mrs. Juli is going to teach me a lot about vineyards while I am here but in the meantime, you can see some grapevines in this picture as well as cows in the distance. :

This next picture is Best Road in the winter with the lush hills. This is Mrs. Juli's favorite dilapidated barn and windmill:

The next picture is me on Best Road today:

You can see how golden the hills are right now because of the lack of rain. This is also why California has so many fires that take off and cause so much damage to land. Everything is so dry, you can't imagine it until you see it.

Every state has a nickname. South Carolina is called the "Palmetto State" because of the palmetto trees and California is called the "Golden State" because of the gold rush in the 1800's but also because of the many golden hills throughout the state and even the Golden Gate Bridge. I think the "Golden State" is really beautiful.

I'm having fun and learning so much!

Love,

Flat Stanley

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great but until you are there it is hard to imagine how really, really dry the land is and that is why wild fires can start so easily. Since Sophie is just a puppy, I bet she is propably having a hard time getting used to Flat Stanley and does not understand how fragile he is yet. That "minime" looks very real in pictures so I am having a hard time seeing the real puppy from the pretend puppy. Maybe Flat Stanley should just stay close to the pretend puppy to be safe!

Flat Stanley said...

Hannah, that was Aunt June in the comment above and Mrs. Juli said that she went skydiving over Best Road when she was here a few months ago.

I still want to go skydiving but Mrs. Juli is afraid that they will drop me so I am hoping that Aunt June comes here with Mrs. Jane in a few weeks so I can go skydiving with her. I'm sure Aunt June would take me skydiving - NO DOUBT!

Aunt June, Sophie does look so much like her mini-me! Sophie is only a puppy and that is why she had to stay in time out on her naughty mat for a minute. A minute is a very long time for a puppy. Sophie hasn't grabbed me again though, so I suppose, the time-outs work.

I am having so much fun Hannah and I wish you were here!

Anonymous said...

Hey Flat Stanley. I am glad you are having fun. I really like the cows. My Grandaddy has cows. He just sold his big bull because he was getting "honory"--that's what Grandaddy said. He butted Garrett out of the back of the truck and tried to eat the apple bucket. I like reading about your adventures!
Hannah's brother, Zachary

Anonymous said...

Hey Stanley. I wish I could come see the cows with you. We got some mallard ducks this weekend. We will let them go in the pond when they can fly. Be sweet. I hope you do not have to go to timeout!
Garrett

Anonymous said...

I bet Sophie is going to miss you so much when you come home. She will have to visit you in SC. I told Mommy we would have to look for you a mini me Sophie so you are not lonely when you come home!

IF Aunt June goes to California with Mrs. Jane you have permission to go skydiving with her. Does Mrs. Juli skydive?

Be careful with those cows and do not go inside the fence. They might think you are hay and eat you!

I can not believe the children do not wear winter coats where Mrs. Juli lives. I guess they do not see much snow. I hope we have some snow this year. One time Mommy and I had to spend the night with Aunt June and Matt because we had so much snow that our power went out!

I am going to bed now. You are probably just eating supper. Give Mrs. Juli and Sophie a hug for me!
Love, Hannah

Flat Stanley said...

Zachary and Garrett! It was so good to hear from you!

Zachary, I can't believe your granddaddy's bull butted Garrett out of the truck and ate the apple bucket! He was indeed honory - talk about needing a time out and naughty chair!

Garrett, that is so neat about the mallard ducks! I bet they are cute. I wish you could be here as well.

Hannah, Mrs. Juli does NOT skydive. She has something called anxiety and claustrophobia on airplanes so skydiving is completely out of the question. When Aunt June went skydiving a few months ago, Mrs. Juli's stomach even felt nervous while she was watching Aunt June come down to the ground.

I really love Sophie and her Mini-Me and I am going to miss Sophie so much when I come back to South Carolina. Mrs. Juli said that she will bring Sophie the next time she comes there to visit. Sophie can't wait to meet all of you!

Mrs. Juli plays a lot of golf and I am getting better and better the more I practice. I really like golf.

Mrs. Juli has so much planned for me and I am very excited about my adventures.

Mrs. Juli says "hello" to everyone and she is really enjoying me. She loves me.

When you get home from school on Tuesday, there should be some more pictures of me on this blog. I can't wait to show you where I am playing golf!

Love,

Flat Stanley

Anonymous said...

Hey Flat Stanley. I needed a break from paperwork so I thought I would see what you were up to. You are learning so many cool things about California!! Thank you for sharing. Hannah, Zac and Garrett gather around me every evening to check on your adventures. They were really amazed by the mountains and dry grass. They think California is nothing but beaches.

I heard that Hannah gave you permission to skydive with Aunt June. You might want to take advice from Mrs. Juli and keep your feet on the ground!!

Keep working on your golf. You can give us some pointers when you come home!

Be sweet! Love, Mommy